Sunday, July 11, 2010

A Simple Game of Pitch and Catch


Daniel's Poem for Jake

Posted by Susie Dowdy Butler at 11:39pm on June 5th, 2010
A simple game of pitch and catch
That was his invitation from the thatch
We struggled from five years off
knee deep in a tide pool trying to toss.
I threw too slow and he was too fast,
but it was the best saved for the very last.
He was gone before that week had past.
Had I known I would have thrown
every day without stopping.
Keep catching, boy, don't go away.
Without you, there is no play.
There will be no day.
The sun won't rise.
Just tears circling in my eyes.
Silent absence still rebuke
Pain so intense you have to puke.
Not this; this I cannot take;
All my earth-days without Jake.
So You let him back in, around and through.
He is very near me, alive and true.
He said it once, in a kind imperative tone,
"I will not let you go through this alone."

No comments:

Post a Comment