Tuesday, June 29, 2010

One of My Favorite Patients


Wilma is 7 years old.  Her family was very concerned about her.  She had fever, a hot swollen mass under her jaw that resulted in a lack of interest in food.  She had been to several doctors in Belize City, Orange Walk and Chetumal.  She was not getting better.  But she was still smiling.  A careful bimanual exam of where the swelling connected up inside revealed a blocked and infected submandibular salivary gland...sialadenitis!!!...Am I claiming to be a medical genius?  No, I am claiming to care about giving patients the same thoughtful care that I would want my family and friends to have.  Am I claiming to have an especially kind heart? No, my heart requires constant renewal.  I am claiming to want to love because He loves me.  Also Wilma's beautiful smile and gentle manner make it very easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment