Friday, February 12, 2010

In Alphabetical Order...Fear, Grief and Hope; In God’s Order Faith, Hope and Love

Ok, so it’s countdown time...only 13 days until we arrive in Belize to settle into new jobs, a different home, being around different people...”How can we pull this together so ‘quickly’?” “Will we have the prayers and financial support we need?” I worry in my worst moments, despite the fact that God has always been leading in this direction.  We spent the day going to doctors.  Daniel had general anesthesia for dental problems.  I am not up to date on “my list.” I could go on.  On the other hand, this week, I have been able to renew my primary care skills.  Our kind friend, Dr. Robert Rhea, has reintroduced me to general family practice.  I have recaptured my suturing skills.  Granted my patient was a very cooperative pig’s foot, but I give myself a pat on the back for getting the feel for managing a variety of cutaneous injuries. 
My buddy C.S. Lewis reminds me that “the act of cowardice is all that matters; the emotion of fear is, in itself, no sin.”  I am not so sure he is right about this but I seldom disagree with him except when it comes to pointing the finger at me.  The truth is “there is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.” 
But it is difficult to separate the fear from grief at the loss of my dear Jake.  Again for me, ol’ C.S. puts it clearly: “Grief still feels like fear.  Perhaps, more strictly, like suspense.  Or like waiting; just hanging about waiting for something to happen.  It gives life a permanently provisional feeling.”
But life on earth is not permanent.  This current earth is not our home.  Which brings us back to hope.  Lewis says “Hope...means...a continual looking forward to the eternal world...It does not mean that we are to leave the present world as it is.  If you read history you will find that the Christians who did the most for the present world were just those who thought the most of the next.”
So this is why we are going to Belize. 
“Three things will last forever--faith, hope, and love--and the greatest of these is love.”

No comments:

Post a Comment